2020 Sports Update (23-August-2020)
Hello Our Lady of Refuge Ravens!
2020 has been a year unlike any other. I know it feels like many of our lives have been a roller coaster and plagued with uncertainty of the future. Athletic programs have experienced the same things. Here is a breakdown of what we know as of now:
– Football for the entire state of Michigan has been cancelled for the 2020 Fall Season
– Football teams are still allowed 16 voluntary workouts between September 1 and November 1, in an effort to keep kids active in a safe and restricted environment
– These football workouts will resemble the first week of football practice in early August where each child was screen upon arrival
– Coaches are currently working on a schedule for these dates
– Volleyball has been given a green-light to continue outdoor practice, but is waiting on the Governor’s office for guidance about indoor use of gyms
– If indoor activity is allowed, expect a volleyball season to be scheduled shortly thereafter
– Outdoor practice will require flexibility on all parties in regards to changing weather
– We still have no determination if any games will be allowed to be played against other schools or parishes
– There is still a chance that the season is delayed, shortened, or even cancelled altogether
– We will NOT ask for any registration fee or any other fee to be paid until we have more information about the fall season
– Families that have paid for football will have their checks returned to them ASAP
– We are asking people to still register for fall sports if they are interested so that we can try to get accurate team numbers IN THE EVENT we are able to have a season
– AS OF NOW there are still state mandated distance guidelines and total participant limits for these potential conditioning sessions, practices, and (potential) games
– The school and parish building will be CLOSED to all coaches, players, and parents for the foreseeable future
– With this in mind, conditioning sessions and practices will likely be shorter (hour or less) and staggered as to keep fewer people on the athletic fields at all times
– More information about the fall season will hopefully be available shortly
CYO Athletics are dedicated to the development of the student athlete in a Christian atmosphere. CYO Athletics support Catholic values, sportsmanship and outstanding development in their respective sport.
If you have any questions, please contact Zach Hilbers, Athletic Director at email@example.com.